Madang is a place name at Simbang, near Finschhafen where the Bavarian Lutherans made their first station in 1886. A second group of Rhenish Lutherans joined them at Simbang in 1887, but moved to Bogadjim in Astrolabe Bay to start their own station in 1888. Either they, or perhaps more likely one of their Duke of Yorks mission helpers, brought the name Madang to what was otherwise known as Friedrich-Wilhelmshafen at the time (see Wagner and Reiner 1986).
Madang town, 1998.
Proper noun forms
Place name: The town and province of Madang
© Revising the Mihalic Project, 26 Jan 2005 [Home]