The word for fly in Nggela (Solomon Islands) is 'langa' and in Tubetube language a particularly large flying insect (I don't know what it is in English) is 'ulanga' - the normal housefly is called 'ulolo'. Maybe it is an Austronesian term for fly or some varieties of fly?

The Lihir word for fly is 'long' - so obviously this all points to its being an Austronesian term - have you checked Kuanua term?

Martha Macintyre 1 Oct 2001